Job Description – Parish Accountant
The parish accountant is the day-to-day lead for financial support for the parish, performing tasks such as posting and reconciling all revenue transactions; leading the annual budget process; analyzing financial information and preparing reports for parish management and finance council; reconciling bank records; maintaining HR records and process bi-weekly payroll; lead special projects as requested. Be viewed as an essential work partner to the management of the parish.
Task and Responsibilities
- Responsible for all revenue transactions for the Parish and Foundation, posting all transactions in QuickBooks and reconciling with bank records in a timely manner.
- Analyze critical parish financial operations and trends and act as an early warning signal when significant variations occur.
- Process and reconcile intercompany account transactions with Academy bookkeeper.
- Overview the weekly collection count process and process bank deposits, providing information from this for posting in the Bulletin.
- Maintain petty cash and provide cash box for special events. Process and track sale information for special events.
- Maintain and reconcile reserve accounts.
- Lead the annual budget process, preparing, analyzing and recommending budgets to Director of Operations and Parish Business Manager. Enter resulting budgets into QuickBooks.
- Reconcile and prepare annual report required by the Archdiocese of Chicago.
- Maintain new hire information, providing new hires with intro packages and recording employee decisions in payroll system. Act as the interface with the Archdiocese of HR issues.
- Prepare bi-weekly payroll: collect and enter timecard information, review and validate with Director of Operations, process in payroll system, and distribute checks.Enter payroll/benefit data into QuickBooks. Process special transactions as required due to retirements, terminations, special payments, etc.
Attention to Detail
Position required being careful about detail and thorough in completing work tasks.
Job requires consistency of actions, methods, principles, expectations and outcomes.
Position requires that tasks be completed in a timely and repeatable time frame so that analysis is conducted on data with integrity.
Job requires excellent attendance, being reliable, responsible and fulfilling obligations without reminder.
Working with a small team requires constant challenging of the status quo, always looking for better and smarter ways to perform the role.
A willingness to personally take on responsibilities and challenges.
Working collaboratively as a member of a team to a common purpose.
Role will come in frequent contact with employee and donor information that needs to be held in the strictest confidence.
- Associate or bachelors in accounting or finance, or equivalent.
- Proficient in Quick Books Pro and the Microsoft Office suite of applications
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills, effective written and oral communication skills.
- Position is full time, Monday through Friday. Role may occasionally require evening or weekend support.
- Excellent attendance track record in previous positions.