Each year during Lent, Holy Family Catholic Community takes on a social justice project to support a mission church or organization in need. We educate the parish about a specific issue and offer prayers, fasting and alms-giving in support and solidarity.
Holy Family Catholic Community has partnered with Catholic Extension Society to support mission dioceses throughout the United States and other foreign countries, where the needs are great and the Church is growing. Our efforts have also supported local programs such as JOURNEYS the Road Home, a local agency working with people in a homeless situation or on the verge of becoming homeless, Catholic Charities' Peace Corner and St. Sabina Church in their violence prevention programs
2019 Lenten Social Justice Project: Kino Border Initiative and Catholic Extension's Holy Family Fund
This Lenten season, Holy Family will walk a path alongside individuals and families striving to live a life that is productive, strengthens the family unit, and maintains inherent dignity - all within an environment that is safe and nurturing. Our intent is to humanize the immigration issue and to recognize its complexity while emphasizing accompaniment of people on their journey.
Respecting the human dignity of every individual is the first and foremost Catholic social teaching. Throughout Lent, this project will address six of the seven main Catholic social teachings. These teachings include: Respecting Human Dignity; Call to Family, Community, and Participation; Rights and Responsibilities; Option for the Poor and Vulnerable; The Dignity of Work and the Rights of Workers; and living in Solidarity with our brothers and sisters everywhere.
Our goal is to raise a total of $25,000 for the two programs – the Kino Border Initiative and the Holy Family Fund. Both programs are supported by Catholic Extension Society.
Additional information can be found by CLICKING HERE
Past Lenten Social Justice Projects
Holy Family's 2018 Lenten Social Justice Project was a huge success raising $103,134 for Violence Prevention efforts!
- a full-time Pastoral Associate at St. Paul Mission Church in McKee, Kentucky,
- St. Mary's School in Red Lake on the Red Lake Reservation in Minnesota,
- JOURNEYS The Road Home providing long-term case management, job counseling and housing support to homeless and on the verge of homelessness individuals and families
- repairs and renovation to San Miguel Arcangel Church, Las Ovas and Paso Real de San Diego Chapels and St. Rosendo Cathedral in Cuba
- Strong Futures Program and The Peace Corner Youth Center supporting youth and their families in order to reduce violence in their communities
We are all in this together. Thank you for walking our Peaceful Pathway.